State Department announces the closure of the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait following retaliatory Iranian strikes
- Mar 5
- 1 min read

Riyadh, March 5, 2026 (Saudi Arabia Breaking News) – The United States has suspended operations at its embassy in Kuwait, becoming the second diplomatic mission to fully halt activities since the start of the Iran war.
The U.S. Department of State said in a statement that the embassy in Kuwait City had suspended operations, emphasizing that the safety of Americans abroad remains its highest priority.
“While there have been no reported injuries to U.S. personnel, the safety of Americans abroad remains the highest priority of the U.S. Department of State,” the statement said.
Shortly before the announcement, Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke by phone with Kuwait’s foreign minister to express condolences following the deaths of at least two Kuwaiti troops in Iranian retaliatory strikes.
Since the war began, several U.S. embassies and consulates across the Middle East have closed their public services. However, only the U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan, had previously suspended operations entirely.
Source: AP

